Where is it you want me to volunteer?
South Staffordshire (Seisdon Peninsula)
What will I be doing?
You will also be working with the Information Worker to encourage GP’s to hold Dementia Friends sessions, to be thinking about dementia friendly surgeries and how they could be promoting our services.
You will also become a Dementia Friends Champion and deliver Dementia Friends sessions to increase people’s awareness of dementia in the local community.
Alzheimer’s Society’s Dementia Friends programme is our biggest ever initiative to change people’s perceptions of dementia. Dementia touches the lives of millions of people across the UK. Dementia Friends was launched to tackle the stigma and lack of understanding that means many people with the condition experience loneliness and social exclusion. We need to create more communities and businesses that are dementia friendly so that people affected by dementia feel understood and included.
For more details on what the role of Dementia Friends Champion involves, please click the link below:
Some of the other tasks you may be able to assist with include:
- Leaflet or poster drops
- Assisting at information stands
- Giving out information at public events
How much time do you expect me to commit?
This role is flexible, however we do hope you will be able to offer at least 2-3 hours of your time a couple of times a month and provide some continuity over a number of months.
What support will I receive and what are the requirements?
Alzheimer’s Society is committed to supporting volunteers in whatever role is carried out. For this role, you will be supported by the Information Worker. No particular experience is required although the following skills and abilities would be helpful:
- A passion for improving the lives of people with dementia
- Confident and enthusiastic manner
- Good listening and communication skills
- A willingness to volunteer within service boundaries
- An understanding of, and commitment to, confidentiality
- A willingness to learn about, and be committed to, the Society’s values and principles
- A commitment to teamwork with volunteers and staff from a variety of backgrounds
- A commitment to attend relevant learning and development workshops
To apply for this position or find out more please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01543 573 936