Local groups across the UK are run by volunteers and offer friendship and support to people living with Parkinson’s, their families and carers across the UK. The Dudley Branch is active within your local community and regular activities include a monthly meeting on the fourth Tuesday of each month, a monthly informal café meeting in Stourbridge, fornightly exercise class in central Dudley, plus other activities and events.
The Branch Treasurer leads the financial activity of the group. Working closely with the Branch Chair, you would:
• accurately record financial activity, keeping the group and the Parkinson’s UK Office informed of the group’s financial position
• keep up to date on Parkinson’s UK’s financial policies and share them with the group
• provide regular reports to the committee at a monthly committee meeting on the financial status of the group including final accounts at the annual general meeting
• engage with local staff and volunteers to meet the needs of local people affected by Parkinson’s
• deal with financial administration for the group, including sending annual financial returns to the UK Office, ensuring volunteer expenses are paid accurately and working within the guidelines provided
• be a signatory on the group’s bank accounts
• work with the Volunteer Co-ordinator to enable the group to operate within Parkinson’s UK’s guidelines to bring forward the day when no one fears Parkinson’s.
You would not be required to attend the group’s activities on a regular basis and support from other committee members would be provided around banking of branch funds from activities and meetings.
They are looking for volunteers who:
• have strong numerical and communication skills, as you will be working with a wide range of people and leading the group’s finances.
• be collaborative and team focused, as you will need to discuss the group’s finances with the committee and local staff
• are able to make balanced decisions taking into account multiple views in order to meet the needs of local people with Parkinson’s
• have a positive attitude to make things happen in our local community
• will contribute to meetings in an open and inclusive way so that the views and feedback of people with Parkinson’s shape the support the group provides
• have IT skills to enable you to read and edit spreadsheets and to communicate efficiently with other volunteers, staff and people affected by Parkinson’s in our local area.
Previous financial or accounting experience is not essential but would advantageous.
You may also be asked to undertake relevant learning and development opportunities and be invited to attend events and meetings.
This may particularly suit a retired individual with experience of bookkeeping, financial and budget management or someone recently qualified or looking for work experience related to financial and budget management of charity funds.
To be a signatory on a local group bank account, banks will perform a credit check. For this reason, volunteers cannot undertake this role if they have been declared bankrupt.
FOR MORE INFO OR TO APPLY PLEASE CONTACT:
The Volunteering team
Telephone: 020 7963 9328