As a key member of the local fundraising group you will be responsible for ordering and looking after Guide Dogs merchandise
Variable depending on the number of events local groups hold. Approximately 1 day per month
What does the role involve?
• Letting the group know about new stock items
• Keeping an eye on stock levels, ordering all trading goods for the branch and getting things ready to sell at events
• Receive, check and price goods
• With your Treasurer, banking money raised through the sale of trading items using the trading paying in book
• Organising the storage of goods, this may include storing at your house or at other branch members’ homes.
• Where required keep local shops supplied with goods and code as appropriate
• In January carry out a complete stock take
Location: At home and in the community
What will I get out of it?
• Looking after Guide Dogs stock – from cuddly toys to dog gifts to the lucrative greeting cards
• Work with a group of committed and passionate people
• Support Guide Dogs to provide guide dogs and other mobility services that enable blind and partially-sighted people to enjoy the same freedom of movement as everyone else
• An opportunity to build experience for your CV
What skills or experience are required?
• Good communication skills
• Good interpersonal skills
• E-mail use and access desirable
Will I need to do a Disclosure check?
Not for this volunteer role
Minimum Age: 16
This role is managed by: Community Fundraiser
Meet one of our existing Fundraising Group Trading Secretary’s:
Jo has been a Trading Secretary for Guide Dogs for several years!
I attended a training course through work some years ago and was encouraged to “Make A Difference” to receive accreditation for that course. I chose Guide Dogs, partly because I’m a dog lover, and partly because I’m from the Blue Peter generation and an era of collecting Milk Bottle tops to help raise funds for Guide Dogs! I didn’t really know how I could help but picked up the Trading Secretary role from another Branch member who was retiring.
The Trading Goods supplied by Guide Dogs are really good quality and our branch have found the Tombola is particularly effective for example (everyone loves the puppy soft toys). We have branched out more recently and now attend Christmas Fairs and our local annual Agricultural Show but the Trading Secretary can be as big or small as your branch. I started by just selling the Christmas cards to branch members and my family & work colleagues. All that is needed is somewhere to store the goods in advance of an event and try the items to see what sells well in your area.
I’m thrilled to be part of a really friendly branch. We are lucky to be supported by some great puppy walkers and I have to admit that meeting the puppies is part of the attraction. I’ve made some really good friends over the years, including guide dog owners, and whilst I joined to make a difference for others I’m happy to say it’s been a really positive experience for me too.
“I’m thrilled to be part of a really friendly branch. We are lucky to be supported by some great puppy walkers…”
FOR MORE INFO OR TO APPLY please contact: