This time commitment for role is flexible, and would include spotting opportunities to place boxes during your daily activities.
What does the role involve?
• Identifying and placing collecting boxes in suitable locations
• Talking to the shop owner, receptionist etc. at the location about how the boxes will help Guide Dogs and what we do
• Emptying boxes every 3-6 months (as they get full) and banking the income through the paying in book provided. Give a receipt and letter of thanks to the hosts
• Keeping a written record of the location of all boxes for your supervisor, the dates they are emptied and the dates/amounts banked
• If boxes aren’t collecting much, you’ll decide to move them to a better location. Your supervisor may also ask you to remove boxes
• Reporting any stolen boxes to the local Mobility Team
• Spotting the potential for further fundraising amongst the box holders for Community Fundraiser
Location: Various and local surroundings
What will I get out of it?
• Support us to enable more blind and partially-sighted people to enjoy the same freedom of movement as everyone else
• An opportunity to build experience for your CV
Will I need to do a Disclosure check?
Not for this volunteer role.
Minimum Age: 16
This role is managed by: Community Fundraiser
Meet one of our existing Collection Box Co-ordinator’s:
Lena has been volunteering since 2010
My husband and I have placed 34 counter boxes in local shops. Through theses 34 boxes in just over 6 months we have raised £1,161. I visit the shops about once every three months and keep a record of the box numbers and amounts received.
I think every box opened with contents between values £40 to £70 is an achievement. I am so surprised at the kindness of people in this economic environment who are willing to put money in our boxes.
I worked all my life and when I retired I found I was very bored! I did Genealogy research for other people to try to fill the gap, made friends by email through this but I wasn’t out and about. By volunteering for Guide Dogs I find that the public have many questions and I love being able to answer these. Through setting out the boxes and other volunteering roles I have met lots of new people and always seem to be “on the go!”
Placing boxes can be done as part of your daily life as you go shops, the pub, café’s etc, at a time that suits. All Guide Dogs boxes together could generate £1m.
“Through setting out the boxes I have met lots of new people and always seem to be on the go!”
FOR MORE INFO OR TO APPLY please contact: