- Why are you suggesting voluntary work?
- What do you hope people might achieve?
- Do you think a person’s current needs might be met through volunteering?
- Are there other ways of meeting those needs?
- Will they need support, if so how much support will people need and at what stages?
- Are you/your organisation able to offer support?
- What other roles can you or your organisation play?
Things to discuss with the people that you support!
- Is the person REALLY interested in volunteering?
- What does that person want from volunteering?
- What does the person want to do?
- Has the person got realistic expectations about what they can offer?
Sometimes the answers to these questions can be difficult to find. It may be an idea:
- For the Volunteer Centre to come and provide a workshop on what volunteering is and what types of things you can do
- For people to look at some of these questions in groups