The volunteer role involves supporting bicycle rides and supporting other volunteer support riders. Any queries you may have during your time with us should be referred to the Project Co-ordinator.
To promote Age UK Dudley’s services and activities for older people.
The role involves:
Undergoing Volunteer Cycling Support Rider training, which includes:
– How to carry out a bicycle check (get client to make adjustments or recommend take to reputable cycle shop)
– Look at cycle routes – carry out reconnoitres and risk assessments.
– How to ride with a group and the size of the group (recommend 6 – 8 riders maximum to 2 Support Riders) and associated etiquette to cycling in a group.
– Assessing ability of cycling participants.
– Communication between front and back Support Riders.
– Legalities of riding, such as lights, helmets, etc.
– Be aware of accident procedure
– Undergoing Criminal Records Bureau check
– Wear yellow vests to identify Support Riders
– Obtain name, contact, age and Next of Kin contact details of cycling participants
– Have Outdoor Health Questionnaires completed by participants.
– Support cycle rides – warm up, brisk ride, warm down. Build in ‘progression’ to subsequent rides, increasing speed, length or including inclines.
– Observe participants, warn of dangers (such as traffic, uneven surfaces, obstacles, etc) and give assistance where needed.
– On Cycle Ride Attendance Register, write short report of the ride such as weather conditions, incidents, etc.
– Forward attendance registers to LEAP Over 60 Project on a monthly basis
Your role will also require you:
– To attend volunteer meetings and undertake any further training required.
– To wear a name badge when attending cycle rides and to carry a personal identity card when on Age UK Dudley Business
FOR MORE INFO OR TO APPLY PLEASE CONTACT:
Contact number: 01384 356150