Purpose of the role
In a nutshell the role is to support children and young people with disabilities in group sport & physical activity clubs. However, the role is much more than that. You could help in making the participants experiences so much more rewarding. Our volunteers help to develop smiles by creating sociable and happy environments in which to play.
Many of our participants begin attending as shy, timid individuals. Having volunteers available to chat and introduce them to the group helps make them feel welcome and have a sense of belonging. Our volunteers add a fun and caring side to our activities.
We have a broad range of weekly activities such as: soft play, adaptive sports/games, swimming, wheelchair sports, trampolining and swimming.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
– Communicate in a positive way with the participants
– Join in and play small games or do activities with the participants
– Be flexible and quickly adapt to the needs of the young people
– Promote a healthy lifestyle
– Promote safe activity
– Assist lead staff with delivery of activities
– Be a positive role model and respect the dignity of all participants
– Follow safe working practice/safeguarding procedures
What you need and what you can gain
Supporting people with disabilities in fun activities can be very rewarding. Many of our volunteers enjoy it so much they help out for a number of years. The environment is very social and always full of energy.
You don’t need to be sporty to help out. Just have a positive attitude, have a smile on your face and be willing try things.
Good verbal communication skills aren’t essential as they will be improved through confidence and just having a go. Support is always there if you are unsure.
You can: volunteer and just enjoy helping; add to your skills through first aid qualifications; gain coaching qualifications when the opportunity arises and enhance your C.V.
– We will complete an enhanced DBS check with you at no cost.
– Have a valid safeguarding certificate. We run training with no cost.
-Become a member of Dudley’s Seal coach accreditation scheme we will complete this with you.
– Our activities are based across the borough of Dudley.
– We are always looking for help so tell your friends.
– Most activities take place on evenings, weekends or school holidays.
FOR MORE INFORMATION OR TO APPLY please contact:
Tel: 01384 814179