Our story began back in 2012 when Wolverhampton City Council in partnership with local business people saw the Onside Youth Zone model in other towns and cities and as a result wanted to give the young people of Wolverhampton access to a Youth Zone, and the benefits it can bring for the whole community. Championed by successful entrepreneur, Steve Morgan OBE and with additional backing from the Morgan Foundation, The Queen’s Trust and St James’s Place Foundation, this once-in-a-lifetime project is now set to become a reality for the city’s young people from early 2016.
Our Youth Zone will be inspirational, sending a clear message that the young people of Wolverhampton matter as soon as they enter. The Way will offer young people the best-in-class facilities and opportunities to access a range of activities. The Way is more than just a name, it is a brand that reflects the values our new Youth Zone will represent. We have worked very closely with young people from the city to understand what they want to get out of the Youth Zone and how they think it should be perceived by the whole community. As a result we have created a brand for The Way with young people that will uphold our values of being unique, providing opportunity, supportive, welcoming and diverse.
Part of the Youth Zone is inclusion. It is there to make sure young people who are most vulnerable are able to get involved with all the activities. Young people involved with our inclusion team might be children with disabilities, they maybe young carers, or looked after children. Inclusion offers whatever level of support each young person requires, so it might be one to one support to get involved or it may just a helping hand every now and then.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSILITIES:
– To offer support to ensure everyone is able to get involved in all activities.
– To give one to one support to young people who need it.
– Work with children and young people with diverse needs, including children and young people that have disabilities or additional needs.
– To ensure that the members maintain a high standard of behaviour and discipline during sessions
– To ensure the participation of young people in activities and that their ideas contribute fully in the delivery and evaluation of activities
– To assist with any promotional activities and visits that take place at the Youth Zone;
– To actively promote the Youth Zone and positively contribute towards increasing Youth Zone membership;
– To promote and safeguard the welfare of children and young people at all times
– Be a role model for young people and present a positive “can do” attitude
– Volunteer within the performance framework of The Way Youth Zone and Onside
– Represent The Way Youth Zone positively and effectively in all dealings with internal colleagues, and external partners
– Comply with all policies and procedures, with particular reference to safeguarding, codes of conduct health and safety and equality and diversity to ensure all activities are accessible
– Ability to identify and challenge discrimination and discriminatory behaviour, taking appropriate action as necessary
– To directly deliver a high quality programme of activity that is exciting, safe, varied, innovative, developmental and directly responds to the diverse needs, concerns and interests of the members
WHAT YOU NEED AND WHAT YOU CAN GAIN:
For this role you must have a passion for working with children and young people. You must have patience and an understanding of young people with additional needs.
This can be a very challenging role, where you will be working with children and young people who may be going through some tough times. You need to have the confidence and resilience to understand their needs and build positive relations, gain trust, listen and engage with them. You need a genuine passion for working with young people and be able to plan and adapt everything you do.
You need to have an enhance DBS check for this role and we will provide this for you.
A willingness to work unsocial hours during evenings and weekends is required.
The ability and willingness to travel to events in the City and beyond.