Our story began back in 2012 when Wolverhampton City Council in partnership with local business people saw the Onside Youth Zone model in other towns and cities and as a result wanted to give the young people of Wolverhampton access to a Youth Zone, and the benefits it can bring for the whole community. Championed by successful entrepreneur, Steve Morgan OBE and with additional backing from the Morgan Foundation, The Queen’s Trust and St James’s Place Foundation, this once-in-a-lifetime project is now set to become a reality for the city’s young people from early 2016.
Our Youth Zone will be inspirational, sending a clear message that the young people of Wolverhampton matter as soon as they enter. The Way will offer young people the best-in-class facilities and opportunities to access a range of activities. The Way is more than just a name, it is a brand that reflects the values our new Youth Zone will represent. We have worked very closely with young people from the city to understand what they want to get out of the Youth Zone and how they think it should be perceived by the whole community. As a result we have created a brand for The Way with young people that will uphold our values of being unique, providing opportunity, supportive, welcoming and diverse.
The enterprise team will be set up to encourage young people to realise their own potential through devising exciting projects that will help them learn essential skills for their future. The team will run a number of interactive sessions and workshops to help young people develop their abilities and attitude, helping them achieve their goals and ambitions. This could include – making items to sell, making and baking cakes to sell, learning about work and business and how to be entrepreneurial. Your role could be engaging with the young people and supporting or running an activity and engaging the young people. You can lead activities if you wish or just support and help.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSILITIES:
– To establish positive relationships with children and young people
– To support or deliver activities to members that have been planned with the Enterprise team
– To be creative and enthusiastic in your role and believe in the creativity of others
– To ensure that the members maintain a high standard of behaviour and discipline during sessions
– To ensure the participation of young people in activities and that their ideas contribute fully in the delivery and evaluation of activities
– To assist with any promotional activities and visits that take place at the Youth Zone;
– To actively promote the Youth Zone and positively contribute towards increasing Youth Zone membership;
– To promote and safeguard the welfare of children and young people at all times
– Be a role model for young people and present a positive “can do” attitude
– To help set up and tidy up activities.
– Volunteer within the performance framework of The Way Youth Zone and Onside
– Represent The Way Youth Zone positively and effectively in all dealings with internal colleagues, and external partners
– Comply with all policies and procedures, with particular reference to safeguarding, codes of conduct health and safety and equality and diversity to ensure all activities are accessible
– Ability to identify and challenge discrimination and discriminatory behaviour, taking appropriate action as necessary
– To directly deliver a high quality programme of activity that is exciting, safe, varied, innovative, developmental and directly responds to the diverse needs, concerns and interests of the members
WHAT YOU NEED AND WHAT YOU CAN GAIN:
For this role, good communication skills are so crucial with a lively can do attitude. You need to have the ability to develop positive working relationships with young people and fellow workers.
You need to be open minded, creative in your thinking and happy to get involved in all activities.
This can be a very challenging role, where you will be working with children and young people who may be going through some tough times. You need to have the confidence and resilience to understand their needs and build positive relations, gain trust, listen and engage with them. You need a genuine passion for working with young people and be able to plan and adapt everything you do.
You must be a creative person who can think on their feet and most importantly be an excellent role model.
You need to have an enhance DBS check for this role and we will provide this for you.
A willingness to work unsocial hours during evenings and weekends is required.
The ability and willingness to travel to events in the City and beyond.