Our story began back in 2012 when Wolverhampton City Council in partnership with local business people saw the Onside Youth Zone model in other towns and cities and as a result wanted to give the young people of Wolverhampton access to a Youth Zone, and the benefits it can bring for the whole community. Championed by successful entrepreneur, Steve Morgan OBE and with additional backing from the Morgan Foundation, The Queen’s Trust and St James’s Place Foundation, this once-in-a-lifetime project is now set to become a reality for the city’s young people from early 2016.
Our Youth Zone will be inspirational, sending a clear message that the young people of Wolverhampton matter as soon as they enter. The Way will offer young people the best-in-class facilities and opportunities to access a range of activities. The Way is more than just a name, it is a brand that reflects the values our new Youth Zone will represent. We have worked very closely with young people from the city to understand what they want to get out of the Youth Zone and how they think it should be perceived by the whole community. As a result we have created a brand for The Way with young people that will uphold our values of being unique, providing opportunity, supportive, welcoming and diverse.
Every day the Youth Zone will make a difference to the lives of young people. We will be open 7 nights a week for children and young people aged 8 – 19.
This role would support the catering manager and staff at the Youth Zone, preparing fresh and healthy meals for all its members.
Commitment to this role is essential.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSILITIES:
– To assist the catering manager prepare healthy meals for its members
– To follow the direction of the catering manager.
– To work, at times, unattended to cook and prepare the set meals for the day.
– To keep work area tidy and clean as per health & safety regulations
– To arrange and refill tuck shop displays
– To be reliable, honest and personable at all times and behave in a professional manner
– To replenish stock, handle cash, washing up and cleaning as and when required
– To promote and safeguard the welfare of children and young people at all times
– Represent The Way Youth Zone positively and effectively in all dealings with internal colleagues, and external partners
– Comply with all policies and procedures, with particular reference to safeguarding, codes of conduct health and safety and equality and diversity
– Ability to identify and challenge discrimination and discriminatory behaviour, taking appropriate action as necessary
WHAT YOU NEED AND WHAT YOU CAN GAIN:
This role is specialised, so a keen interest in catering is required with previous experience advantageous. Good customer service skills and a keen willingness to learn with the ability to multitask.
This can be a very challenging role, where you will be working with children and young people who may be going through some tough times. You need to have the confidence and resilience to understand their needs and build positive relations, gain trust, listen and engage with them. You need a genuine passion for working with young people and be able to plan and adapt everything you do.
You must be a creative person who can think on their feet and most importantly be an excellent role model.
You need to have an enhance DBS check for this role and we will provide this for you.
A willingness to work unsocial hours during evenings and weekends is required.
The ability and willingness to travel to events in the City and beyond.
FOR MORE INFO OR TO APPLY please contact: