Our story began back in 2012 when Wolverhampton City Council in partnership with local business people saw the Onside Youth Zone model in other towns and cities and as a result wanted to give the young people of Wolverhampton access to a Youth Zone, and the benefits it can bring for the whole community. Championed by successful entrepreneur, Steve Morgan OBE and with additional backing from the Morgan Foundation, The Queen’s Trust and St James’s Place Foundation, this once-in-a-lifetime project is now set to become a reality for the city’s young people from early 2016.
Our Youth Zone will be inspirational, sending a clear message that the young people of Wolverhampton matter as soon as they enter. The Way will offer young people the best-in-class facilities and opportunities to access a range of activities. The Way is more than just a name, it is a brand that reflects the values our new Youth Zone will represent. We have worked very closely with young people from the city to understand what they want to get out of the Youth Zone and how they think it should be perceived by the whole community. As a result we have created a brand for The Way with young people that will uphold our values of being unique, providing opportunity, supportive, welcoming and diverse.
Every day the Youth Zone will make a difference to the lives of young people. We will be open 7 nights a week for children and young people aged 8 – 19.
This role would support the front house of team in welcoming visitors and young people, answering phones, booking young people onto computer systems, taking payments and dealing with new members. This role is to support staff members and help with the smooth operation of a very busy section of the Youth Zone, which will always be the first line of enquiry for young people, visitors and telephone enquiries.
All our volunteers for this role need to be 21 and over. This role is especially important during the evening and we would ideally prefer at least 3 hours of support at our busiest times of the evening.
Commitment to this role is essential.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSILITIES:
– To provide front of house, customer service and administration support for the Youth Zone.
– To be friendly, courteous and provide excellent levels of customer service to all visitors
– To have a basic understanding of processing all relevant paperwork and transactions from customers at the Youth Zone
– To have an excellent phone manner and be the first point of contact for many children, young people, parents, professionals and volunteers.
– To provide support to the senior administration manager and work within a team.
– To be reliable, honest and personable at all times and behave in a professional manner
– To maintain contact with line manager and inform them of any issues and problems you may come across
– To promote and safeguard the welfare of children and young people at all times
– Represent The Way Youth Zone positively and effectively in all dealings with internal colleagues, and external partners
– Comply with all policies and procedures, with particular reference to safeguarding, codes of conduct health and safety and equality and diversity
– Ability to identify and challenge discrimination and discriminatory behaviour, taking appropriate action as necessary
WHAT YOU NEED AND WHAT YOU CAN GAIN:
The most important thing for this role is a positive attitude and cheerful personality. You also need to be confident and outgoing, to believe in children and young people’s abilities, and be inspiring and enthusiastic. It would also be advantageous if you had previous experience within this role.
For this role, good communication skills are so crucial with a lively can do attitude. You need to have the ability to develop positive working relationships with young people and fellow workers.
This can be a very challenging role, where you will be working with children and young people who may be going through some tough times. You need to have the confidence and resilience to understand their needs and build positive relations, gain trust, listen and engage with them. You need a genuine passion for working with young people and be able to plan and adapt everything you do.
You must be a creative person who can think on their feet and most importantly be an excellent role model.
You need to have an enhance DBS check for this role and we will provide this for you.
A willingness to work unsocial hours during evenings and weekends is required.
The ability and willingness to travel to events in the City and beyond.
FOR MORE INFO OR TO APPLY please contact: